8 Top E-learning Software Tools vs. an All-In-One Online Tutoring Platform: A Fair Comparison
The purpose of e-learning
E-learning, i.e. the process of learning in an online setting, serves the purpose of allowing people to further their academic qualifications in a flexible way that does not involve face-to-face teaching. E-learning democratizes education, permitting students from different locations and socioeconomic backgrounds and settings to access lessons and trainings that would otherwise be out of reach.
Using e-learning software, teachers can now effectively teach their students. Schools can also benefit from school management software in their transition to computerized education due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The term e-learning software refers to the online programs that allow distance teaching to take place. Over the years, online teaching software has become increasingly sophisticated and more easily accessible. Teaching software allows educators to create lesson content and video courses, interact with their students, and manage their classes.
Popular e-learning software tools
Some popular software for teaching online includes Google Classroom, Elucidat, and even YouTube, among others. Different tools offer different services, so it is important for teachers to research them thoroughly before committing to one.
Google Classroom, for example, offers a great, reliable way for teachers to connect with students online while providing useful features such as spreadsheets and presentation applications. Elucidat, on the other hand, has the advantage of having been designed specifically to make creating learning resources easy. YouTube is also becoming very popular with teachers who want to add a creative element to their classes, producing learning material that can be watched over and over again.
1. Tools for communication
Communicating with large groups of learners: The 3 best online tools
There is a wide variety of communication tools available online for remote teachers and their students, which can make choosing one complicated. Some classic, highly rated choices among online teachers include the following:
- Skype: Skype is very effective for collaborating with a remote classroom and dialogue between teacher and students.
- Zoom: A platform that allows online meetings up to 500 participants and webinars, Zoom has become particularly popular in the e-learning industry during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Google Hangouts: Google Hangouts allows to record group video meetings and boasts many features that encourage collaboration in classrooms.
2. Student attendance
The importance of tracking attendance when teaching large groups of learners
Tracking online attendance is crucial in order to ensure students are keeping up with their coursework and reaching their learning goals. Whether teachers choose to track attendance by monitoring who uses the online learning platforms or by encouraging regular contact during virtual office hours, it is important for educators to keep track of who is logging on daily and turning in assignments and who is not.
The 3 best online tools for tracking student attendance
Using online tools can help educators keep a record of student attendance when teaching large groups online. Some of the best tools for tracking attendance are the following:
- MyClass Attendance: Teachers use MyClass Attendance because it is a simple, user-friendly app that helps simplify the process of tracking attendance.
- K12 Attendance: K12 Attendance is a popular tool that tracks attendance and even sends out alerts for regularly missing attendees.
- Attendance Manager: Attendance Manager is a powerful tool that helps teachers track attendance and participation in their classes while issuing detailed reports on each student’s attendance record.
3. Visual content
The role of visual content in the learning process
Not only does the incorporation of visual elements in the classroom break monotony, but it has also been found that by adding meaningful visual content to their lessons, teachers can help students process and retain information better, encourage them to engage with the materials and develop higher-order thinking skills.
Deliver visual content to large groups of learners: The 3 best online tools
There is a lot of school software out there designed to help teachers make their lessons visually appealing. Here are some noteworthy mentions:
- Camtasia: Camtasia provides educators with all the tools and tutorials necessary to create and edit their videos.
- Loom: Loom is an intuitive tool that makes recording and sharing screen videos very easy for teachers.
- Screencast-O-Matic: A great tool for video recording, editing, and distribution, Screencast-O-Matic allows users to incorporate animations, music, and many other features to their content.
4. Online whiteboards
The importance of a whiteboard for teaching large groups of learners
Whiteboards are an all-time classic, traditional classroom tool that allows teachers to jot down concepts that are being discussed in class, which is a highly effective way to maximize knowledge retention. They are equally useful to effective teaching online as they are offline.
The 3 best online whiteboards for educational purposes
Some of the best software for schools that feature an online whiteboard are:
- GoToMeeting: GoToMeeting is a highly effective online whiteboard collaboration tool that allows easy real-time cooperation between teachers and students.
- Whiteboard Fox: Whiteboard Fox is one of the easiest online whiteboards to get the hang of, as it simply features a blank canvas to be used by educators and learners.
- Conceptboard: A popular digitalized whiteboard, Conceptboard gives users the option to input their files and images directly onto its board.
5. Tools for knowledge testing
Why test knowledge?
The ultimate goal of teaching is to pass on knowledge to students. In order for teachers to verify that they have achieved their goal, they administer tests to determine if students have successfully learned the curriculum. Testing can also help teachers to identify students’ strengths and weaknesses, which is another factor making it a very important part of the educational process.
The 3 best online tools for student knowledge testing
There are many ways to test students’ knowledge, from multiple-choice quizzes to essay assignments. The following are some of the best online tutoring software that facilitates test creation and administration for teachers:
- ClassMarker: A secure and professional testing service, ClassMarker is easy to use and saves teachers a lot of grading time.
- EasyTestMaker: EasyTestMaker helps teachers generate all sorts of tests, from multiple choice to fill-in-the-blank and short written answer assessments.
- Yacapaca: Yapaca not only allows teachers to create quizzes, but it gives them the chance to use tests created by other educators.
6. Tools for feedback gathering
Feedback gathering in education
Gathering feedback from students about their experience in a class is an effective way for teachers to receive reviews about their teaching, which will allow them to work to actively improve it.
The 3 best online tools for student feedback gathering
Educators today have plenty of ways to create surveys and questionnaires that will permit them to get their students’ feedback. Some of the best free online tools that teachers can use to do that are:
- SurveyMonkey: One of the most popular websites for creating surveys and polls, SurveyMonkey can be used by educators to gather feedback from their students.
- AnswerGarden: AnswerGarden is a tool that allows students to comment, ask questions, and post feedback about a class.
- GoSoapBox: With a user-friendly interface, GoSoapBox is a useful tool for students to post questions and comments about a class online for their teacher to see.
7. Scheduling tools
Using scheduling tools
Scheduling tools are used by teachers to help them organize and manage their classes more efficiently. They can be used to schedule a class or meeting and essentially serve as a personal administrative assistant for teachers.
The 3 best online tools for scheduling lessons
Some of the best school management software are:
- Calendly: Calendly helps teachers book classes and works as an online calendar and reminder so that they can always honor their appointments.
- ClassDojo: An award-winning e-school management system, ClassDojo makes administrative issues easy for teachers by helping them with a variety of scheduling tasks.
- Schoology: Schoology allows teachers not only to communicate with their students and colleagues but also to manage their classroom in a hassle-free way.
8. Social networks
The role of social networks in e-learning
In the last decade, social media has become increasingly significant for a number of industries, and education is no exception. Teachers and schools are turning to social networks to market themselves, as well as promote information and share knowledge and resources. Educators can use social media to quickly and effortlessly create groups and to share ideas and information with students and colleagues.
The educational opportunities provided by social media
Facebook is argued to have a lot of potential as an educational tool. Studies have found that it can create a sense of community among learners and promote collaboration, as well as promote literacy and language skills. Because of its wide usage, Facebook provides an accessible platform that everyone is familiar with that can definitely be adapted for educational purposes.
Instagram is a notoriously easy-to-use platform that can be used effectively for educational purposes. As Instagram focuses on visual content, students’ learning can potentially be enhanced.
The use of hashtags can also be useful for education, allowing all participants of a class to contribute to the distribution of knowledge creatively. The common use of memes and jokes on Instagram can also help to boost learners’ morale.
With features such as hashtags, mentions, and replies, Twitter is a particularly useful platform for engaging in dialogue. Twitter’s novel mixed-media format, incorporating pictures, videos, and short text has been found to positively impact the motivation and engagement of students.
Studies have found that students think of Twitter-based instructions and activities as enjoyable, which, in turn, increases the sense of a classroom community.
On the rise: Online tutoring platforms
Online tutoring platforms are websites where students can search for remote tutors based on their desired subject. Online platforms are built to connect students with tutors and help educators organize classes by offering administrative e-learning tools and applications.
Online tutoring platforms are particularly helpful for teachers who are new to distance teaching and not necessarily familiar with e-learning technologies. Online tutoring platforms help teachers to manage all learning and administrative processes, give them access to teaching resources and virtual classrooms, and even provide training in a lot of cases.
Convenience: Online tutoring platforms vs. individual e-learning tools
While e-learning tools are becoming increasingly advanced, downloading, and familiarizing oneself with each one of them can be challenging for teachers. A more convenient option for educators is joining established online tutoring platforms that provide all the necessary tools for e-teaching.
Teachers will often discover that a lot of educational software companies charge for premium features, but online teaching platforms do not charge teachers for using their tools.
Online tutoring platforms also vet their teachers and handle students’ payments, guaranteeing a safe and reliable process.
Another convenience of using online tutoring platforms is their automated cancellation policies, meaning that tutors and students are not charged extra for missing lessons.
“Eurekly School”: One platform providing all the e-learning tools you need
Eurekly is one of the best global online learning platforms and communities. In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, Eurekly launched the Eurekly School project, which allows schools affected by closures due to the crisis to move their classes online seamlessly.
Eurekly School fully supports schools and teachers in their efforts by providing a wide range of features that are designed to maximize the online learning experience and ensure formal education goes on uninterrupted.
Eurekly School is an all-encompassing platform, which gives teachers free access to all aforementioned e-learning tools. Teachers on Eurekly School can hold their classes in sophisticated virtual classrooms equipped with whiteboards that allow the incorporation of visual elements. The platform allows teachers to schedule their classes with students easily, while also providing them with all the tools that they need to monitor their attendance and test their knowledge. Students and teachers can communicate effortlessly and exchange photos and videos on Eurekly School, which combines all of the positive features of social networks and e-learning tools.
Choose Eurekly School and try the best education management system available online for yourself!